Tuesday 8 May 2012

Day 1 of Week 2...

So this morning was a bit brutal, I'll admit. I moved on to week 2 which means more time spent jogging and more intervals. I've had a couple people ask me specifics about the program, so I'm going to lay out the first two weeks from warm up to cool down.

Week one:
warm up: 5 minutes of brisk walking
4 intervals of 2 minutes of jogging followed by 2.5 minutes of brisk walking
cool down: 5 minutes of brisk walking

Week two:
warm up: 5 minutes of brisk walking
5 intervals of 2.5 minutes of jogging followed by 2.5 minutes of brisk walking
cool down: 5 minutes of brisk walking


Sounds pretty easy? Pshhh...try running for the first time in years with some extra pounds tacked onto your frame and see what happens. I don't feel like a fifteen year old kid getting ready for soccer anymore. Honestly, I didn't feel too badly until about a minute into my second jogging interval, and then I started to pray for it to start downpouring so I could crawl back home because "Ooops, its raining. I can't possibly run in the rain. I may melt, or die." But, alas...it did not start to rain. And I did, indeed, finish my run.

What changes have I started to see/feel? Well, I'm not huffing and puffing as much, which is nice. My muscles do feel like they are on fire around the middle of my third interval still. Am I still playing mindgames with myself to get me through that jogging interval? Yes! Whenever I'm having a little bit of a rough time with an interval, or say to myself that I can't possibly make it the rest of the time running, I have to lie a little bit to myself. I'll pick a point in the road and think that if I can just get there, I'll stop. But, when I get to that spot, I pick a new spot farther away and tell myself, again, that if I can just make it to that spot, I can stop. And then, my interval is done and I get to take a break.

Hopefully it will be nice for Thursday's run. Or maybe, it will rain....

No comments:

Post a Comment