Sunday 3 June 2012

Running through the rain drops

I'm pretty sure I jinxed myself by being snarky about running in the rain on my last post. My first day of week three came and I had no other choice than to run during downpours. Running with glasses on is not a pleasant experience. I do believe I need some sort of glasses-windshield wiper device to afix to my specs because I couldn't see anything. To make it worse, they were also fogging up. Not a good way to start week 3. I'm spending some extra time on week 3, because I can't seem to get through all of the intervals comfortably. Week 3 consists of a five minute warm up, five intervals of jogging for 3 minutes with walking for 2 minutes in between, and then a five minute cool down. I can get through the fourth interval, but for some reason I just can't finish that fifth one. So, I'm working on repeating week 3. Again.

This is the third week I have been at this level, but I took a couple of days off because my shin splints were really bad. I'm prone to this, and always have been, especially back in high school when I was playing soccer. On my off days, I went for an epic seven hour hike on the Appalachian trail and a short, local hike at a state park. I'm also helping my parents move and paint their new house, which is a good workout in itself.

There are a few 5k races I have my eye on this summer, and I'm hoping I'm in good enough shape to enter one of them before summer ends. Even if I use it to help me train for a real race, I think I'm going to register for one soon so that I can't back out of the committment. Let's see which one I find to enter!

1 comment:

  1. Hello a few of us fellow vet students are getting together to put together a lecture note repository for us all to share notes etc... Would you be interested in collaborating ?

    ReplyDelete